H.E. Garchen Rinpoche in Ukraine.
Prayer to Tara Who Protects From the Eight Fears
ཨོཾ། འཇིགས་པ་བརྒྱད་སྐྱོབ་མ་ལ་ཕྱག་འཚལ་ལོ། །བཀྲ་ཤིས་དཔལ་འབར་མ་ལ་ཕྱག་འཚལ་ལོ། །
OM, JIK PA GYÉ KYOB MA LA CHAK TSAL LO | TASHI PAL WAR MA LA CHAK TSAL LO
Om! Homage to she, who protects from the eight fears! Homage to she, who shines as a beacon of goodness!
ངན་སོང་སྒོ་འགེགས་མ་ལ་ཕྱག་འཚལ་ལོ། །མཐོ་རིས་ལམ་འདྲེན་མ་ལ་ཕྱག་འཚལ་ལོ། །
NGEN SONG GO GEK MA LA CHAK TSAL LO | TORI LAM DREN MA LA CHAK TSAL LO
Homage to she, who closes the gates to the lower realms! Homage to she, who leads the way to the higher realms!
རྟག་ཏུ་ཁྱེད་ཀྱིས་སྟོངས་པར་མཛད། །ད་དུང་ཐུགས་རྗེས་བསྐྱབ་ཏུ་གསོལ། །
TAK TU KYÉ KYI TONG PAR DZÉ | DA DUNG TUK JÉ KYAB TU SOL
You are my constant companion. Always protect me with compassion!
In times of war, everyone should recite the Prayer to Tara Who Liberates from the Eight Fears. This is a simple prayer that anyone can say. It would be good to make this a daily and ongoing prayer. “She, who protects from the eight fears,” has the power to put an end to all wars and conflicts. “She, who shines as a beacon of goodness,” helps us in resolving conflicts peacefully and being more considerate of one another. “She, who closes the gates to the lower realms and leads the way to the higher realms,” brings those who have died in the war to the higher realms or liberation after death. “You are my constant companion. Always protect me with compassion,” means that Tara will always protect you, in this life, in future lives, and the bardo. When Lord Atisha’s ship was about to sink while crossing the sea, he spoke these words of prayer. This is the prayer that should be recited by the entire community. Because this is such an important prayer, you must understand its meaning. I recite it throughout the day and night. I pray for you all and am always with you. You must practice well in difficult times like these. In short, such prayers will help calm the fighting and may help ease the pride and anger of those who are proud and angry. I love you! Thank you! Thank you!
~ H.E. Garchen Rinpoche on March 5th, 2022.
OM! Homage to you, who protects from the eight fears!
Homage to you, who shines as a beacon of goodness!
Homage to you, who closes the gates to the lower realms!
Homage to you who leads the way to the higher realms!
You are my constant companion.
Always protect me with compassion.
Words of Pandita Jowo Je Atisha
Konchok Dawa Zangmo is now in Ukraine delivering humanitarian supplies. The entire Ukraine sangha is most grateful for all the donations that came in from the worldwide sangha. The donations will help those in need in Ukraine and will help to purchase more needed supplies.
It is now possible to donate directly to the center in Ukraine through paypal.
Summary of some of the Ukraine Sangha posted March 2, 2022
* Konchok Samten is a long time disciple of Garchen Rinpoche. He is protecting the people of Ukraine.
* Anatoli is a paramedic and is in a very dangerous place saving many wounded people where the Russian army is heavily bombing civilians. He shared a video where paramedics tried to save a wounded child without success.
* Maryna is the center director of Garchen Ratnashri Ukraine. A longtime student of Garchen Rinpoche.She is currently outside of Kyiv in a safe place.
* Liudmilla’s son in law is serving in military forces, the family is in Kyiv in their apartment. Kids are very scared, spend a lot of time inside of a small pantry. They all meditate, pray, recite mantras.
* Tanya and Yaroslav help to build checkpoints in Kyiv in front of their apartment building. They say: “we don’t even pay an attention to sirens anymore”.
* Olga is now staying in a bunker near Kyiv with her doggie Oscar. She has served the Ukraine center for many years and is a devoted student of Garchen Rinpoche
* Iryna had an opportunity to leave a very dangerous circumstance in Kyiv and go to Poland in someone’s car. Yet at the last moment she gave her seat to someone with a child understanding that this could cost her her life. I am not sure she even knew this person very well. She just said “Children are important, I accept whatever happens to me.”
* Maryna and Armen were married in October. Armen was leading online practices on Guru Yoga and Vajra Recitation. He is a lawyer and his wife Maryna is an artist. Armen accompanied Maryna to Lviv in Western Ukraine, settled her and parents in a safe place. Now is heading back to Kyiv. When he was parting with his wife, he told her that he has to help protect Ukraine. He says that he cannot do otherwise.
* Yaryna participated in Yamantaka Drubchen at Garchen Institute in 2019. Now she is practicing the Yamantaka drubchen in Kyiv in her apartment. During air raids she moves to a hallway and continues her practice.
* Yuriy lives in Chernigiv. He is hosting 4 families at his house that need help.
* Ivan is an architect. He accompanied his wife and 3 kids to Lviv in Western Ukraine and is now returning to Kyiv.
* Dmytro is in Kyiv with his parents in their 7th floor apartment. Today he was studying and listening teachings on 37 Practices of Bodhisattva.
* Anna works at Animaton Stopmotion company. Right now she is in a village outside of Kyiv with her parents.
* Oksana is a yoga teacher in Vynnytsya about 4 hours by train from Kyiv. Now she volunteers for organizations that delivers medical supplies.
* Yaroslav and Tanya are in their apartment In Kyiv and are not leaving the city. They are practicing Yamantaka Drubchen now.
* Galyna and her husband Dima are both IT professionals. They are live in Lviv. They created the website for Ukrainian Garchen Ratnashri and they also organize all my online teachings. They are practicing Yamantaka Drubchen right now.
OUR HEARTFELT FERVENT PRAYERS
FOR YOUR SAFETY AND WELL BEING
ARE CONSTANTLY WITH YOU AND EVERYONE!
with BIG LOVE and PRAYERS
Garchen Buddhist Institute
New Book Recommended by H.E. Garchen Rinpoche
The Dalai Lama’s Special Envoy
Memoirs of a Lifetime in Pursuit of a Reunited Tibet
Columbia University Press
Lodi Gyaltsen Gyari spent decades drawing attention to the plight of the Tibetan people and striving for resolution of the Tibetan-Chinese conflict. He was the Dalai Lama’s special envoy and chief negotiator with the People’s Republic of China in the formal negotiations over the status of Tibet. In this revealing memoir, Gyari chronicles his lifetime of service to the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan cause.
Gyari recounts his work conducting formal dialogue with the Chinese leadership from 2002 to 2012, as well as his efforts during the many years of quiet diplomacy preceding these historic negotiations. He details the fits and starts of the parties’ relationship, addressing successes as well as failures and highlighting misperceptions, missteps, and missed opportunities by both sides. Gyari grounds his recollections of his time as special envoy in his life experience, providing a powerful account of the personal side of Tibet’s struggles. He describes the Tibetan resistance to the Chinese invasion and the tumultuous early years of the Tibetan community in exile as well as his family’s history and spiritual lineage. A reincarnated Tibetan Buddhist lama forced to flee Tibet during the Chinese invasion, Gyari illuminates how his political efforts fulfilled his spiritual calling.
Informed by his unparalleled experiences, Gyari offers realizable—but provocative—recommendations for restarting the Tibetan-Chinese dialogue to achieve a mutually beneficial resolution of the issue. For all readers interested in Tibet’s complex modern history, this book offers an incomparable look inside the decades-long effort to achieve the Dalai Lama’s vision of a reunited Tibet.
March 8, 2020
Garchen Institute’s temporary closure.
After careful consideration, H.E. Garchen Rinpoche has decided to temporarily close the Garchen Buddhist Institute in Arizona. This decision is for the protection of each and every one of us and our many connections, near and far, from the uncertainties and risks of the global coronavirus epidemic. We care deeply about the health of everyone and will continue to offer the Dharma teachings, prayers and practices online through our livestream YouTube channel.
Sending heartfelt prayers and love for everyone’s well being!
Dear Dharma brothers and sisters,
We would like to notify you about the decision that has been made concerning H.E. Garchen Rinpoche’s retirement in Arizona. For many years, His Holiness Chetsang Rinpoche and many disciples of H.E. Garchen Rinpoche have repeatedly expressed their concerns about Rinpoche’s health and his need for more rest. Since many devoted disciples had a strong wish to meet Rinpoche, Rinpoche continued to travel as much as he could for the past years.
This year in April, all the Gargon lamas supplicated H.E. Garchen Rinpoche to retire from traveling, and Rinpoche finally agreed. Therefore, we finalized the decision for Rinpoche to stop traveling altogether and we ask you all for your understanding. Please do not worry, Rinpoche is doing very well and is in good health. However, Rinpoche is elderly and we all sincerely pray that he lives a very long life. This is our prayer and the aspiration behind this decision.
The Gargon Committee wishes everyone a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year, happiness, health, success, and a long life!
April 30, 2019
In 1997 H.E. Garchen Rinpoche arrived in the United States and quickly established his main center in Arizona and many other centers in North America, Europe, and Asia. For the last 22 years, Garchen Rinpoche has heeded an unending stream of requests to teach and has tirelessly traveled the world fulfilling his disciples’ wishes.
His extraordinary selfless activities have been an inconceivable blessing and teaching for us all. Rinpoche has never asked for any personal time for himself.
Since 2016 we, the lamas on the Gargon Committee, have been reducing the amount of touring, traveling and teachings for H.E. Garchen Rinpoche, in an effort to respect his advancing age and safeguard his health. This April the worldwide Sangha celebrated his 83rd birthday.
However very recently while in Los Angeles, for the first time ever, H.E. Garchen Rinpoche privately announced to the lamas that were present, that 2019 will be the last year that he will be traveling to give teachings. Starting in 2020, Rinpoche wishes to reside full time at his main seat in the U.S., The Garchen Buddhist Institute.
All the lamas on the Gargon Committee unanimously support H.E. Garchen Rinpoche’s decision.
To acknowledge what a significant change this is for many disciples and centers, The Garchen Buddhist Institute is creating new programs in 2020 that will bring H.E. Garchen Rinpoche and his teachings to the worldwide Sangha via an interactive live-stream forum yet to be determined. Scheduled times for pilgrimages to the Institute in Arizona will be arranged, especially for international centers.
H.E. Garchen Rinpoche has repeatedly said that as long as his students and centers can genuinely work together harmoniously with love and patience, the longer he will live.
We ask that the center directors and worldwide Sangha cooperate to support Rinpoche’s wish and that we all practice his sublime teachings with diligence.
If you have any questions and/or suggestions about this change, please talk with your resident lama.
It is our heartfelt wish that H.E. Garchen Rinpoche Live Long and that each Sangha group does well with this adjustment!
With love and solidarity,
The Gargon Committee
Policy for Attending Events and Retreats
The facilities of the Garchen Buddhist Institute are available only to persons who are accepted as students participating in a specific event or program relating to Buddhist studies or specific retreat.